Re: Trunk still not open

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 18:29:49 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > I think that in future there needs to be more of a culture of people at
 > > least trying to document their own changes, around the time they make
 > > them.
 >
 > Agreed.
 >
 > > Some people said they want more frequent releases.
 > > Well, you can't have that unless more people start doing some of the
 > > less-interesting work that goes along with releases.
 >
 > Indeed.

All very true, but practically speaking this has to be decided at the
project level, and accompanied by a no-push-without-required-docs
policy.  It's quite possible that this policy once explicitly decided
will require essentially zero enforcement (part of the problem is that
there's probably much less than 100% awareness of the less-interesting
tasks), but you need to be prepared to enforce by demanding docs, and
if necessary reverting doc-less patches.

Of course there's no reason to require that *patch authors* write
docs, 3rd parties can do that just as well.

Steve