Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 15:07:07 +0100

John Yates <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 12:20 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden> writes:
>> >  You are like catholic priests dictating how people
>> > should deal with sexuality. See what they achieve.
>>
>> You manage to stoop to insinuations of child molestation.
>

> David,
>
> If you reread Oscar's posting carefully I hope that you will see that he
> did not insinuate child molestation.  That you had such a response speaks
> volumes regarding the poor image the catholic priesthood has currently in
> the public eye (and perhaps a tiny bit regarding your willingness to
> demonize Oscar).  My interpretation was that, at least in North America and
> Western Europe, catholic teachings on sexuality are largely ignored (e.g.
> pre-marital sex, birth control, divorce, homosexuality, etc).

Your interpretation of "largely ignored by the public" does not fit his
attack since we are talking about _inner_ effects of the policies of the
GNU project, not their effect on the public.  It also does not fit his
attack since the priests would not fare any better than "largely being
ignored" if they tried not to teach their church's morals at all.

Now it may well be that Óscar does not bother to think through what he
writes.  The end result is the same: as he does not consider either
treating his discussion partners or their points with basic respect,
there is nothing to be gained by submitting oneself to his abuse.

His conclusions are foregone, and the longer one attempts to reason with
him, the lower his esteem of people disagreeing with him gets and the
more abusive he becomes.

If you actually stoop low enough to interpret his "analogy", the
conclusion you end up with is that he claims that neither Richard nor
I know what programming and/or free software is like while talking about
it.

I am not interested in the next escalation.  The current one is more
than pathetic enough.

--
David Kastrup