Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 07:53:35 +0100

> David Kastrup writes:
>
>  > In this particular case, the "annotated syntax tree" question in
>  > particular is mostly uninteresting since we are talking about
>  > characterizing identifiers.  It is "mostly" uninteresting since the
>  > resolution of an identifier depends on scopes,
>
> Nice try, but I don't think you can deprecate the value of the
> information GCC is not allowed to emit that easily.
>
> Emacs's treatment should depend on types and usage [...]

Most of your reply has already been addressed in the parts you did not
quote.  If the discussion is supposed to lead somewhere rather than run
in circles, it would make sense not to cherry-pick one's controversy.

At the current point of time, you are trying to retract the discussion
back into discussing general principles.  We had hit a wall with that
approach already, so unless we particularly like that wall, I suggest
that we go back to the specific problem of completion, figure out the
respective approaches leading to solutions there, and try figuring out
lessons for other applications afterwards.

--
David Kastrup