Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Davis Herring
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:52:03 -0700

> BTW, I really don't know yet what will work best.  Maybe the
> "save&restore only those vars we've been told" as is currently done is
> indeed the best option.  But in that case it shouldn't be done via
> a variable listing those symbols, but e.g. by adding a special
> property to those symbols.

A C programmer wouldn't save and restore many variables, but rather
would swap pointers to structs (or, in the dynamic case, lists).  This
suggests that there could be a "mode-local" object: either a well-known
map in ELisp (which would require explicit lookups, as in the C case) or
a parallel to buffer-local variables in C.  One could even obtain it
from text properties at point.

Davis

shipping.