Re: Policty question - encoding to use in git repository?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Policty question - encoding to use in git repository?
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:47:05 -0800

The closest thing we have to an encoding policy is given in the "Source file encoding" section of admin/notes/unicode.

The history is that there's been fitful recoding to UTF-8 over the years. About the time I wrote "Source file encoding" (March 2013), I recoded several files. Juanma recoded a bunch of ChangeLogs in March 2008 -- these are the most-relevant to the issue of what should appear in the repository. I assume there are other recodings as well; I haven't kept track.

While we're on the topic of normalization, is it the intent to normalize spelling of author and committer names in the repository? E.g., replace "François_Pinard" with "François Pinard" (no underscore)? Or replace "Richard M. Stallman" and "Richard M Stallman" with "Richard Stallman"? How about email addresses? Perhaps you've already addressed this point but if so I'm afraid I forgot what you wrote.