Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 04:00:52 +0100

On Mon, Feb 17, 2014 at 3:40 AM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

> - font-lock and syntax-propertize, each sub-part according to its own
>   mode and according to its context which can depend on the immediately
>   preceding chunk (even tho it's in a different mode) as well as on some
>   earlier chunk in the same mode.
> - indentation is done according to the mode to which BOL belongs, I think.

For multi-modes representing dynamically generated content (PHP +
HTML, etc.) there's going to be fragments that will be hard or
impossible to indent meaningfully. Can't be avoided, I think.

> Not sure if it's the kind of requirements you were thinking about.

What about code that deals with the buffer's major-mode? In a PHP +
HTML buffer, or a Literate Haskell source (assuming it's a multi-mode
buffer with text and Haskell submodes), what will (with-current-buffer
"my-multi-buffer" major-mode) return? Does it depend on `point'? If
you switch the buffer's major-mode, does it change for all fragments?