Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:38:45 +0200

On 14.02.2014 17:30, David Kastrup wrote:
I'd expect each participant in the discussion to be willing to
implement things they discuss that are within their area of
expertise. E.g. Stefan to at least add that hook and modify the
syntax-ppss caching behavior.

That's a popular misconception: the dictatoriate of the incompetent.
Just because somebody went to the pains to learn an art does not mean
that he is bound to do your bidding.  Gifts are foremost gifts, not
punishment.

Replace "they discuss" in my quote above with "they suggest". It would be their own bidding, not mine. Or if the person is not interested in implementing said things, an explicit warning would be nice.

I really don't do C, and learning it just to contribute to Emacs seems
like a major undertaking.

Oh, you could help a lot of people and projects in your newly gained
area of expertise then.

Yeah, how much effort other people would have to spend correcting my mistakes before I gain said expertise? Not to mention the expenditure of time on my own part.

Why there aren't many new contributors capable and interested in
implementing new features at the C level, your guess is as good as
mine (probably better).

They probably don't like the obligations coming with it.

I don't believe most even think that far.