Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-pp

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r101338: * lisp/emacs-lisp/syntax.el (syntax-ppss): More sanity check to catch
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 17:15:33 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> The need to "come up, design and implement" these things has been there
>> for many years now. Unless things start moving in that direction
>> step-by-step, I'm not confident anything "proper" will happen at all.
>
> Nothing will start moving unless Someone(TM) will move things.

I'd expect each participant in the discussion to be willing to implement
things they discuss that are within their area of expertise. E.g. Stefan
to at least add that hook and modify the syntax-ppss caching behavior.

> I hope
> volunteers will eventually come and do that, or else Emacs will
> continue to be what it is today.  My chiming into this thread was in
> the hope that what I say will inspire someone.

I really don't do C, and learning it just to contribute to Emacs seems
like a major undertaking.

Likewise, I'm seeing a surge of users interested in writing Emacs Lisp.
Less of that in the Emacs core, but hopefully the transition will come,
too.

Why there aren't many new contributors capable and interested in
implementing new features at the C level, your guess is as good as mine
(probably better).