Re: Repo cpnversion progress report

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Repo cpnversion progress report
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 16:57:28 +0100

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>:
>> I'm sorry, but my motivation to help you at this point is nil, I'm
>> sure you understand why.
>
> I'm sorry, but if you're not going to be helpful, then expect to be
> ignored. The cost of withdrawing any cooperation is that you lose
> influence over the result.  You get to take what comes out the other
> end and like it.

I don't see any justification for the "and like it" angle.  I also don't
see any justification for the "you lose any influence" angle since that
implies that voting for keeping the status quo is not an option.

> I'm not saying this out of personal rancor. This conversion job is so
> messy and labor-intensive that I simply cannot spare the energy to
> listen to people I think are just going to carp about it.
>
> Because I at least like to think I'm a reasonable person, you can
> rescue this situation at any time by displaying behavioral evidence of
> helpfulness.  That means doing something concrete that helps the work
> along.

There are certainly valid opinions about the cost/benefit of throwing
the existing repository and all its references away that do not qualify
as "doing something concrete that helps the work along".

Putting a lot of work into a change does not automatically imply it has
to be accepted.

If you say that you are going to ignore any feedback that will distract
you from finishing your work properly, that's a perfectly reasonable
strategic decision.  But the cost of that wager does not lie with Eli.

A perfect pitch does not buy you a homerun (well, obviously).

--
David Kastrup