Subprocess TAB completion in standard shell (comint) mode ... any chance

From: Robert Lerche (rlerche)
Subject: Subprocess TAB completion in standard shell (comint) mode ... any chance?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 18:48:29 +0000

Emacs shell mode is where I spend much of my time; for ordinary tasks, to
capture problem logs, and to demonstrate system administration.

Many subprocess commands these days have useful TAB completion (e.g.,
PostgreSQL psql, or the Python interpreter).  Alas, shell mode (that is,
comint) disables this mechanism for subcommands.

A search leads to this discussion from 2011 (specific to Python, but touching
on the broader issue):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-09/msg00612.html

Has any thought been given to providing a means for shell mode to pass input
with TAB appropriately and capture the subcommand's response?  It would be very
helpful.

Thanks.