Re: Displaying images "outside" the layout

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Displaying images "outside" the layout
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:28:59 -0700

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> You could reserve the space in advance, by displaying some empty image
> there, or by some other suitable trick with display properties.

Yeah, but then we'd display a lot fewer dired lines, which isn't
optimal.

> If the tooltip is drawn by Emacs, it is just a special kind of frame,
> so images ought to work.  (Not that I like the idea of showing
> thumbnails only in tooltips.)

Sorry; I didn't mean literally using the `help-echo' stuff, but just
wondered whether it was even possible for Emacs to display images
"floating"...

A different solution that just occurred to me while writing this is that
we could just use the echo area.  I didn't know that that worked,
either:

(progn (message (propertize "hello" 'display (create-image "splash.png")))
       (sit-for 1))

Perhaps that's the most natural and Emacsey way to display thumbnails?