Re: Default history-length should be higher

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Default history-length should be higher
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 22:19:39 +0200

On 26 January 2014 21:44, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
> Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 21:22:37 +0200
> From: Bozhidar Batsov <address@hidden>
> Cc: emacs-devel <address@hidden>
>
> While we're at it - why not increase the default `gc-cons-threshold' as
> well. Currently the default is 0.8 MB, which seems super-conservative given
> today most computers have 1GB+ of memory. Code that creates a lot of
> objects would obviously be impacted significantly, since GC would be
> performed frequently. Setting it to something in between 10MB and 50MB
> seems much more reasonable to me.

Did you try that?  If not, please do.  In my experience, your
suggestion has a downside: the GC indeed happens less frequently, but
when it does, it takes an annoyingly long time.  I find it easier to
tolerate many GCs that run to completion in less than a second, than
to have a few GCs that take several seconds each.

I've tested the flx package https://github.com/lewang/flx suggestion to bump the gc-threshold and
the package definitely started working noticeably faster.  I haven't noticed particularly long GC pauses.
Hopefully when multi-thread support is implemented in a future version of Emacs we'll get some parallel GC as well.