Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Is intellisense features integration in Emacs technically possible?
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 01:53:09 +0200

Hi Jorgen,

Jorgen Schaefer <address@hidden> writes:

> Completion
> -----------
>
> The main topic being argued here. I'm currently using auto-complete.el,
> but I hope to eventually use `completion-at-point-functions' once
> company-mode is integrated.

Like Stefan mentioned, you can already support Company through
`completion-at-point-functions'. Company will need to be installed
manually by each user, though.

> Important features I haven't seen for c-a-p-f yet: Provide an overlay
> of the most likely completion candidate while you type for quick
> completion with TAB; add annotations to completion candidates, for
> example to indicate symbol type; ability to provide documentation for a
> completion candidate so that can be shown while browsing candidates.

See above.

But what's a "most likely completion"? When there's just one suggested
completion, then yes, we show an inline overlay. Otherwise, the full
list.

> Oh, and support for getting completion candidates asynchronously. This
> is quite tricky, as the user might have moved point in the time the
> candidates were returned, and it's not always necessary to re-request
> the candidates then. auto-complete.el handles this "mostly ok" using
> an init function and caching the response, but has some hard to trace
> problems.

I remember you creating a Company issue, me writing you an example
snippet, and you going away seemingly (?) satisfied.

Have you had any progress using it? As long as we don't have
asynchronous users, there's really not much material for me to work with
to improve the API, as well as not much motivation.