Re: A smarter command history

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A smarter command history
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:55:02 -0500

> For example, in grep's case the command history would look
> like this after the fix:
>   (let ((default-directory "/home/me/projx")) (grep "grep -n -i test"))

That could also be problematic if the user wants to run the same grep in
various directory.

But, for various other reasons, we do need to provide a way for an
interactive spec to indicate the precise form of the command recorded in
the command history.  We currently have some hacks, for example to try
and recognize when two arguments correspond to the region boundaries and
replace the corresponding numbers with (point) and (mark), but those are
brittle and need to be replaced by something more reliable and flexible.

        Stefan