changing topics with a new thread

From: Drew Adams
Subject: changing topics with a new thread
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 08:29:37 -0800 (PST)

> Drew,
> This new subject is not a new thread, but continuation of game score:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-01/threads.html#01899

Got it.  You changed the topic in the same thread, without changing
the Subject, and I then changed the Subject line, still without changing
the thread.

> That's what should be avoided: rewriting the subject. In Thunderbird you
> start a new thread by pressing "New message" or right-clicking on email
> address and "Send message". Quotations must be manuallly copied using
> for example "Paste as quotation".

I see; thanks.  I'll keep that in mind next time (and this time ;-)).

But in that case there is no relation to the previous thread.  That's
appropriate in many cases, especially if there really is no relation.
But what if what is wanted is a subthread that is a tangent?

FWIW, the mail I responded to was yours, in which, AFAICT, you did
start a new topic (not a subtopic AFAICT), about changing threads
when the topic changes (the topic of this new thread).

You did not create a new thread for that.  Your point that changing
the subject line does not change the thread is taken.  Thx.  But
note that there is nothing in your mail that I replied to that has
anything to do with the original thread, except the (rhetorical?)
question of whether the topic had in fact changed.  It was a mail
requesting that people change threads when they change topics -
which is a new topic.

Anyway, I agree with you on both counts (change the thread when
the topic changes, and really change the thread, not just the
Subject line).

In addition, to me, the Subject line is important - for searching,
for example.  In fact to me it is probably more important, for
finding a topic, than which thread the topic is really in.  And
for a short side-bar topic, which you might want to keep in the
original thread, perhaps it is appropriate.

I'm no expert on mailers, but I do recognize that they differ
and offer different features.