Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?)

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs terminology (not again!?)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2014 10:34:17 +0200

> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 19:02:53 -0800
> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> Cc: Per Starbäck <address@hidden>,
>       "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden>, David Kastrup <address@hidden>,
>       "address@hidden" <address@hidden>
>
> Try making a mode that allows point to be off-screen while scrolling
> like it can be in most other editors.

It is a common misconception that Emacs cannot do this.  It can.  How
do you think it pulls the trick of allowing you to scroll pixel-wise
through a very large image?

It is a UI design decision in Emacs to always show point on screen.
But nothing prevents us from writing a mode that leaves point off
screen, or even abandoning that decision if we want (and I'm not
saying we do).  The infrastructure is there, check out the vscroll
thingy and window-vscroll.