RE: List packages Status column terminology

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: List packages Status column terminology
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 09:39:52 -0800 (PST)

> >Are these field values _links_ that install and uninstall?
>
> No. They are used to indicate whether a package is installed or not.

You cannot uninstall if not installed.  And even if the word "install"
can be interpreted as either update or install from scratch, there
would be no such ambiguity here, since the link "install" would appear
only if the package were not yet installed.

"install" and "uninstall" would let you know unambiguously whether
the package is installed.  Just as clear as "uninstalled" and
"installed", and more useful.

> >If so, "install" and "uninstall" (and "action" instead of "status").
> >If not, why not?
>
> Because packages can be individually installed by clicking on their
> links?

That is not a reason not to provide clear install/uninstall links.
The package-name link is less clear than "install" (even if it might
have a tooltip that clarifies what it does).

Let the link on the package name update, or install if not installed.
Remove that link if the package is already installed.

"install" and "uninstall" links tell you both the status and what
you can do, and they let you do it.

[PS. Why the giant, incomprehensible .sig?  Excusing the brevity
of what you type is not a problem.  What about the non-brevity of
all that PGP .sig crap?]