Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116038: On VCS-independent ways of identifying

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116038: On VCS-independent ways of identifying commits, and why they are desirable.
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 15:01:21 -0500

Paul Eggert <address@hidden>:
> On 01/16/2014 08:23 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>
> > there just aren't that many projects old enough to predate CVS.
>
> Hah!  The last public software project I converted was from
> SCCS to Git.  And this was genuine circa-1980 Programmer's
> Workbench SCCS, not some pale imitation.  None of the
> repository converters I found on the web worked, so I had to
> write my own.  I wish I'd known about your repository
> toolset -- maybe some of its Swiss Army knife blades would
> have saved me some work.

Quite likely.  But if this was before 2010 reposurgeon didn't exist yet.

I maintain a Python version of sccs2rcs (yes, it's descended from the
C-shell version you know about).  If I had to do SCCS -> git I would
run it and then lift the resulting RCS with cvs-fast-export (which
is a significantly improved version of the parsecvs code Keith
Packard wrote for lifting X).