Re: Why the odd interactive form in byte-compile-file?

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Why the odd interactive form in byte-compile-file?
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:43:57 -0800

On 01/14/2014 08:41 PM, Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
() Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
() Tue, 14 Jan 2014 16:00:02 -0800

    > Is there some deeper reason we're not using code that looks like this?
    >
    > (interactive
    >     (list (read-file-name (if current-prefix-arg
    >                               "Byte compile and load file: "
    >                             "Byte compile file: "))
    >           current-prefix-arg))

The current ‘interactive’ form supplies DIR and DEFAULT-FILENAME args to
‘read-file-name’ if the current buffer is Emacs Lisp (ish).  Those are
available to the user via ‘M-n’.

Why is that useful?

The form you propose doesn't do that.

    Ping? I'd like to treat this issue as a bugfix and change the
    interactive form to my proposal for 24.4.

Why do you want to treat this functionality as an "issue"?

The current interactive form results in filenames without paths being left in file-name-history when accepting the default filename with RET.