Re: Witness computation - minor breakage in the build system

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Witness computation - minor breakage in the build system
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2014 14:51:14 -0800

Stefan Monnier wrote:
You mean all of the lisp/**/*.el files?  Bad idea:
- it would fail to take into account new .el files (not a big deal, but
   still: we're still in the "best effort" category).

That's a problem with the current approach too, no?
If I create an .el file, it's ignored -- unless
I futz with the repository too.

So this sounds like more of a 'make bootstrap'ish issue to me.
However, if it turns into a real problem in ordinary development
we can add a dependency on the lisp/** directories
as well as on the .el files.

- it would cause re-dumping everytime you change a .el file, even tho in
   99% of the cases the resulting loaddefs.el is the same.

That shouldn't be a problem.
Undumping should depend on the witness file,
not on the .el files directly; and the witness shouldn't
change unless one of the autoloads actually changed.