Re: Tag cleanup

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tag cleanup
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 09:00:12 +0200

> From: address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond)
> Date: Thu,  9 Jan 2014 00:37:29 -0500 (EST)
>
> Please examine this list of tag names,  I want to know which should
> be thrown out to reduce clutter.

I think everything except EMACS_PRETEST_* and emacs-xx.yy (why the
different letter-case and syntax, btw?) should be removed.  Those
other tags are of no importance once the corresponding features have
landed on mainline.  For example, emacs-bidi-base can certainly go.

But please wait for the "owners" of those other tags to speak up, I
don't want to usurp anyone's tags.

> The question is what out of the remainder is dispensable clutter.
> The *PRETEST* labels seem like obvious candates

The fate of the pretest tags depends on whether we will continue using
such tags in the future.  Emacs pretests are normally quite long, so a
pretest emacs-24.3.90 is very similar to a released version, and the
number of commits between it and the next pretest will generally be
very large.  So, if the git experts say that "git describe" and its
middle field are important, I'd rather see there a small enough number
than something of 6 digits.

If we leave those pretest tags (I think we should), then they are
better renamed to something like emacs-pretest-xx.yy.zz.