Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Move to git is imminent - awaiting Stefan's approval
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 19:32:46 +0200

> Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 21:08:51 +0100
> From: Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> $ cd emacs.git/
> $ git gc --aggressive
> Counting objects: 735546, done.
> Delta compression using up to 2 threads.
> Compressing objects: 100% (734446/734446), done.
> Writing objects: 100% (735546/735546), done.
> Total 735546 (delta 589814), reused 143177 (delta 0)
> Checking connectivity: 735546, done.
>
> which took almost 3 hours to be completed.
>
> And the size is:
>
> $ cd ..
>
> $ du -s emacs.git/
> 327M  emacs.git/
>
> which seems very good!

I guess this was on Windows 7, right?  I succeeded to do this on a
64-bit Windows 7 as well, and it took about 2 hours.  And now I
understand why git ran out of memory on Windows XP: the memory
footprint of git-pack-objects goes up to 3GB, whereas Windows XP has
only 3GB address space for all the applications.

So I guess we will need to repack the repository on savannah as a
prerequisite for switching, and then make sure it is repacked
regularly afterwards.  Otherwise, people with low memory and/or slow
CPUs will need many hours to do this on their local machines.