Re: trunk r115910: Fix previous change

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: trunk r115910: Fix previous change
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2014 09:44:28 +0100

Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:

> Bastien wrote:
>
>>> It's easy: note down somewhere the Git revision of the last sync.
>>> Then for a new sync do:
>>>
>>>    git diff -r <lastsync> | (cd ..../emacs/lisp/org; patch)
>>
>> Noted, thanks,
>
> Come off it; this has been explained several times before and is hardly
> rocket science. Eg:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-08/msg00648.html
>
> This has been going on for ages.

Indeed.  My bad.

If someone else wants to volunteer for this task, please speak up.

In the meantime, I'm thankful for the errors you patiently fix.

> I gave up making any non-essential change to Org years ago, because I
> always had to make them twice.

Backporting changes from Emacs Org to Org repo is boring too.
It seems easy enough to

~$ git clone git://orgmode.org/org-mode.git
~$ git checkout maint

and fix stuff there.

I think that's the way things work in general: prefer contributing
downstream instead of upstream.  If Org becomes a submodule, I hope
that Emacs core contributors will contribute to Org directly.

--
 Bastien