Re: Move to git is not imminent - esr is just tired of talking about it

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Move to git is not imminent - esr is just tired of talking about it
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2014 21:26:55 +0100

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 9:06 PM, Karl Fogel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Whether or not there are such people, did you see any of them
> volunteering, the way ESR did?

Why should someone volunteer for something that has *not* yet been
decided, and that was proposed four days ago? Are you sure that no one
would, given a little more time and a little more thought? (And no, I
won't, because I don't have the desire or the technical expertise for
that role, so no sour grapes here.)

> ESR is just trying to get something done in a fairly typical way that we
> try to get things done around here.  He didn't "appoint himself"
> technical director for the move -- he *volunteered* to do it, and when
> no one else stepped forward volunteering the same, ESR proceeded on the
> reasonable assumption that the responsibility was his.

Oh, really? Reasonable? I know you have a lot of knowledge about how
free/open source projects work (great book, BTW). Have you
participated in many projects where someone who is not a regular
contributor, or he is but hasn't been active for years,
single-handledly assumed responsibility for something as important as
a VCS switch and put a date to it, in four days? Because what you call
"volunteering" I would call "trampling".

> Maybe he's being a little pushy as to schedule (I agree the switchover
> can wait until after the release)

I'm happy to see that we can agree at least in two points.

> but pushy isn't a sin -- in this case it may be a virtue :-)

Why? I fail to see any virtue in being pushed.

-- and it's quite clear that ESR isn't going to
> argue if Stefan says to wait until after the freeze is over (or for
> whatever reason).

It's quite clear that Eric is not going to go forward without Stefan's
consent. I wouldn't go to far as to say the he's not going to argue.