Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 23:03:45 -0500

> I agree.  The `completion-at-point-functions' API is convoluted compared
> to either the Company-native API or the Completion-UI API.

Partly for historical reasons, but partly because it handles more
complex kinds of completions, such as file-name completion with
partial-completion.

> On the other hand, it's already part of Emacs and is sufficiently
> flexible (if a little ugly).  So we may be stuck with it now...

Extending the company API or the completion-ui API to handle things like
filename completion (including the issues linked to handling
quoting/unquoting) is far from obvious, so whether we like it or not,
I think that completion-at-point-functions is not really negotiable.

        Stefan