Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Sun, 05 Jan 2014 17:34:47 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > The main issues were (and are) the following:

 > - How to edit past commit messages when they're
 >   incorrect/incomplete/...?

Best solution: no commit without review.  Not gonna happen :-) so,
"git notes".

 > - How to do C-x 4 a when there's no ChangeLog file?

ln -s $PROJECT_ROOT/.tmp_commit_log $PROJECT_ROOT/ChangeLog

works for me in private projects.  The commit alias removes
.tmp_commit_log, so I can't commit without writing a commit log
("fatal: could not read log file '.tmp_commit_log': No such file or
directory").

 > - This last one can get a bit more delicate if you want to be able
 >   to do

Yeah, probably it's still a bit delicate.

 >   since this requires saving the commit message which you started
 >   writing in the first Emacs session: the ChangeLog file naturally lives
 >   across Emacs sessions, whereas the *VC-Log* buffer doesn't.

but not for that reason. ;-)  Dunno if that trick works on Windows,
for one.

Steve