Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: Move to git, now that bzr is no longer a req.
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 14:15:25 +0100

Bastien writes:
> My question is: if Emacs generates Changelogs from commit messages,
> and if commit messages contain ill-formated changelogs, how do you
> fix generated changelogs?

If you've got a version-controlled ChangeLog file (status quo), it is
completely immaterial of how the entries are produced.  Even if they are
all generated, you can still edit the file, just as you've done all the
time.

> One idea is to generate only new changes (and fix them manually if
> needed), not to generate all ChangeLogs.

Generating all ChangeLogs is superfluous since then you don't need a
ChangeLog at all.

> It's a matter of convention: if Emacs generates Changelog files from
> commit messages, I guess we will enforce some policy on how to write
> suitable commit messages.

Again, this is an argument to abolish ChangeLogs altogether.

> Additional (not suitable for ChangeLogs) information could then be
> stored in git notes.

Git notes are simply a way to augment or correct the original commit
message (which can't be separated from the commit without rewriting
history).  As such it should be used sparingly, if at all.  I'd rather
have code review that ensures the commit messages are good than git
notes.

Regards,
Achim.