Re: Apologia for bzr

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Apologia for bzr
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2014 14:08:16 +0100

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:

> "Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:
>>There are other things we need to do to let sunlight and fresh air into the
>>room.  The people who think of Emacs as a relic of bygone decades inhabited
>>by graying neckbeards are not, alas, entirely wrong.  And I say that as
>>arguably one of the neckbeards myself...
>
> Right now, two of the biggest sources of hacking energy in the
> Emacsosphere are in git repositories separate from Emacs' own bzr
> repository: Org Mode and Gnus.  Our switching to git will help reduce at
> least the degree of separation.

Well, I don't really know where Emacs hacking energy is really spent
on, but I discover new Emacs stuff every day so my impression is that
the ecosystem at large is quite productive.

> Whether those projects eventually host their "socially agreed on"
> primary development branches in Emacs' repository is another question; I
> don't know those dev communities well enough to say, despite being a
> heavy user of both packages :-).  But the mere fact that I instinctively
> consider them to be somewhat separate developer communities from Emacs
> itself may be partly an artifact of our having been on bzr for so
> long.

Emacs maintainers and Carsten should really have the last word on
this, but directly hacking Org from within Emacs would be a plus.

With a tighter release schedule, we will all gain from this: users
(no more separate install) and Emacs (expose Org contributors to Emacs
directly.)

--
 Bastien