Re: file watch feature missing on darwin

From: Rüdiger Sonderfeld
Subject: Re: file watch feature missing on darwin
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:37:44 +0100

Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
>Jan Djärv <address@hidden> writes:
>Well, I didn't know that. So we need a native kqueue integration into
>Emacs.

Kqueue's file notify support is extremely bad.  I've looked into it when i
wrote the inotify support.  I don't think we can implement all the features
without some major hacks.  That's why using glib seems like a good idea because
it does all it can do to support that broken api.  It should work on *BSD and
tough luck to the non-free folks.  Reimplementing it in Emacs seems like a big
maintenance hassle.  Maybe we can copy the necessary parts from glib if we
really care enough about supporting non-free software.

Regards
Rüdiger