Re: Local ELPA

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Local ELPA
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2013 09:05:36 -0500

>> So you want to add the directory to package-directory-list (and use
>> "make", tho you'll also additionally want to use "make externals").
> - that target fails on multiple packages due to various errors.

These are bugs, please report them.

> - it doesn't specify -Q on the 'emacs -f batch-byte-compile' command, so
>   it gets confused by previously installed versions of things

See below.

> - it doesn't add packages/* to the load path, so inter-package
>   dependencies fail.

Because that should be done in ~/.emacs.

> - after ruthlessly deleting failing packages, and adding -Q, it
>   succeeds, but does not produce packages/archive-contents, so the
>   following fails:
> (setq package-archives (list (cons "test" "/Projects/elpa/packages")))

While there's some left-over ode that might support building such
a local archive, I have no intention to support this mode of operation.

Instead the recommended setup is a local *installation* of all GNU
ELPA packages.

        Stefan