Re: Controlling which windows can be selected by display-buffer-pop-up-w

From: Jarosław Rzeszótko
Subject: Re: Controlling which windows can be selected by display-buffer-pop-up-window
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2013 16:56:28 +0100

Hi,

Thank you, that seems to work perfectly well!

Cheers,
Jarosław Rzeszótko

2013/12/22 martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Is there any chance a more flexible mechanism for controlling which window
> is chosen to be split when a new buffer is about to displayed could make it
> into Emacs? I have been trying to implement a way to keep a toggleable
> terminal or compilation window at the bottom of an Emacs frame, that is
> only a few lines high and is never split or deleted unless the users
> requests it - I think this is a perfectly reasonable feature many people
> would like, and one present in many environments those days. Currently, to
> the extent I managed to learn, implementing a window that consistently
> keeps a fixed position and size and is never split, is possible only in two
> ways, one is a really dirty hack, and the second one requires
> reimplementing a lot of the mechanisms in window.el.

To avoid that a window is split, fix its buffer's height (see the
variable `window-size-fixed').

To show a window continuously at the bottom of a frame, use the function
`display-buffer-in-side-window' with a 'bottom argument.

No dirty hacks needed ;-)

martin