Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2013 23:44:20 +0200

Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:

> DG> Why don't you start with implementing a programmable graphical popup
> DG> that can display a list of options near any position in Emacs's window,
> DG> that completion engines can integrate with without losing the advantages
> DG> of the current behavior?
>
> Because I don't want, after spending the time and effort, to be told it
> wasn't the desired direction.  That truly sucks.  I'm choosing, instead,
> to ask Stefan to state that direction explicitly.

Right now, you're already arguing minute details here, how it would
work, and insisting that it should be different from all existing
completion interfaces available for Emacs. Don't be surprised to see
rebuttals.

The hard technical part would be to draw the tooltip in the right place
above the frame, make it fast, and offer a good Elisp interface. Then
the code, of which there's a lot, can integrate it.

> Finally, this is a big task and I'd
> probably start by making a team of developers who are willing to assign
> copyright

What part of the work do you see yourself performing?

> company-mode, etc.

So yeah. No need to look for anyone else to do Company integration, I'm
quite willing myself.