Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: chad
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 16:11:58 -0500

Im not quite sure why anyone is arguing about whether or not users
want better completion (of various sorts) inside Emacs. Given the
large number of packages that build exactly this feature (autocomplete,
helm, completion, anything, company, etc), the demand is clearly
present. The issue Ted seems to be trying to solve is that these
packages are each reinventing wheels with different shapes, sizes,
gauges, and (especially) gearing. As a practical matter, users arent
just forced to use 3rd party code; theyre forced to pick and choose
from multiple incompatible features that they want, because the
wheels dont match.

The Emacs maintainers seems willing, in principle, to move towards
providing a better standardized wheel. Since wheels can have colors
(as well as sizes, shapes, etc) Im sure there will be some lively
debate about the specifics of that wheel. Do we really need to
debate the need for wheels at all?

If theres another point to this debate, please forgive me, because
I have missed it.

~Chad