Re: Visual bell patch for emacs on OSX

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Visual bell patch for emacs on OSX
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 16:52:24 +0200

On Wednesday, December 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
Seems to me that GNUStep is killing the user experience of the people that
are actually using the NS port.

WTF? How do you get to this conclusion? The OP has already been told
that it's perfectly OK to just ifdef out the NS-only code.
I guess I misinterpreted the last few mails in the discussion. I was left under the impression that only
code compatible with GNUStep is eligible for inclusion in Emacs.

Maybe this is a policy worth revisiting for the sake of the people
that use the NS port?

People who use the NS port and aren't satisfied with it should start
contributing code, because we really don't have nearly
enough contributors. As Jan pointed out, a non-negligible fraction of
bugs fixed in the NS code are due to Jan who could only do that thanks
to the GNUstep support, so claiming that the GNUstep support is killing
the NS port is ridiculous.
Fair points - I wasn’t aware of the lack of NS contributions. Admittedly I’m not overly familiar with the NS port, having used Emacs mostly on GNU/Linux.
I know, however, there is some enhanced NS port of Emacs (https://github.com/railwaycat/emacs-mac-port) and I wonder
why aren’t the (some) patches from it applied upstream.

Anyways, I’m dabbling into Objective-C and Cocoa right now. If I manage to grok them I might try to contribute to the NS port.

Please, accept my apologies, if I offended someone. I meant no disrespect.

Stefan