Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 22:09:09 -0500

On Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:58:44 +0900 "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
wrote:

SJT> Ted Zlatanov writes:
>> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:29:30 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

SM> I'm not sure why you see it as something the user wouldn't like.
>>
>> Because it's not familiar.

SJT> "Familiar" has never been a reason in itself for doing things in
SJT> Emacs

Sure it has.  We (the Emacs developers and users) simply do what's
familiar to us.  We're all used to "our" way of doing things and are
often puzzled when new users reject our "obvious intuitive" solutions.

SJT> and obviously "unfamiliar" is a superset of "innovative", so make
SJT> sure you fish the baby out of the bathwater first.

I think the "baby" is decades of HCI research we seem to ignore.

>> Do you need examples of how popular and standard this behavior is
>> today?

SJT> Ted, it's not about "popular" (especially not "popular with developers
SJT> who create applications that make Emacs developers feel sick") and
SJT> "standard".

Hey, I think you need an example!  libreadline (and most shells that use
it).  Attacking the Notepad/W32/crapGUI straw man won't help this
discussion.

Ted