Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 13:22:21 +0100

> To me it seems the discussion about Org has somehow drifted from the
> original request in this thread.  Org has been mentioned as a format
> that Emacs already understands and can produce different output formats
> from.  It is not, in its current form, intended to do WYSIWYG editing
> even though it might arguably form the basis for such a mode.  Even
> then, some of the things that people often do with WYSIWYG are even
> difficult to map to Org's syntax, which is geared towards making the
> common things easy without introducing a lot of clutter.

Agreed.

What prompted me to mention org mode, is that org mode is the way I
quickly create documents like RMS' sample pdf file.

I whip up a small .org file, fill it with content, and export it to the
desired format, and that's that.

So I overlooked the WYSWIG bit of the request since it's not something I
need, or even want, for the "small, nicely formatted PDFs, quickly
created" use case.