Re: [patch] make electric-pair-mode smarter/more useful

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [patch] make electric-pair-mode smarter/more useful
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2013 22:34:36 -0500

> I personally would prefer that the current rules would *not* be the
> default in js-mode, as they are now, or any other mode).

I understand what you're saying as "I don't like electric-layout-mode".
FWIW, I agree with you.

> Anyway, the default value should really be the newline-between-pairs
> rule, which currently only kicks in when electric-pair-mode is
> additionally enabled (btw, should it not?).

Enabling electric-pair-mode is definitely not on the table for 24.4, no.

>> From this POV, maybe electric-pair-newline-between-pairs-rule should be
>> made into a separate minor mode, indeed.
> This is also possible, but overkill IMO.  I like the current triad of
> electric modes.

I don't think it's overkill at all.  It should be a separate minor mode
and default to enabled (but still conditional on electric-pair-mode).
I.e. make it part of electric-pair-mode and not try to shoe-horn it into
electric-layout-mode.  I may have stated the opposite earlier, but
I think it's pretty clear to me, now, that the purpose of
electric-layout-mode is different.

        Stefan