Re: Internal/external browsers

From: Josh
Subject: Re: Internal/external browsers
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 10:36:07 -0800

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> To me, that makes good sense everywhere in Emacs.  Except I'd like `C-u
>> RET' to show a list of browsers, if I have more than one I like to use.
>
> Yeah, that might make sense.  But is that a common use case?  I only use
> Firefox for "real browser" stuff, and I don't really see why I'd switch
> between Firefox and (say) Chrome on a regular basis...

I can see why people might want to, for example if the link target
led to a page the user knew to have features better supported by one
browser or another, or if she were a web developer who wanted to
check the linked page's behavior in a particular browser, or even to
launch the usual browser with different command-line switches.

Perhaps C-u RET could immediately open the link in the user's
preferred "alternate" browser and C-u C-u RET could prompt the user
for the complete browser invocation à la `M-x compile', with the
command history being seeded with invocations of one or more
standard external browsers.