Re: trunk r115472: Make 'configure' work out-of-the-box on Solaris.

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: trunk r115472: Make 'configure' work out-of-the-box on Solaris.
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 21:55:42 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > But I disagree with Stephen about the PITA part: normally, when I make
 > a different build, I do that because I need to debug it or test some
 > changes specific to that build.  Having a separate branch for that
 > from the get-go makes it very easy to make changes without thinking
 > twice, and also to merge those changes later onto the trunk.

As I understood Martin, he is often in the situation where he just
wants to confirm that all of several non-conflicting builds (eg, in C
they'd be separated by #ifdefs for Win32, Xt, and GTK+) work with the
same patch.  If a problem occurs in common code, I would not want to
commit it all until it works on all of those builds, and the source
trees for the various builds should be kept in synch.  That's easiest
if the sources trees are actually all the same tree.  On the other
hand, if the problem occurs in only one of several #ifdefs, I don't
want to commit that patch at all until all of the builds work.  Again,
it makes sense to do the tests in separate builddirs from the same
source tree.