Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115434: * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-p

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r115434: * subr.el (read-passwd): Disable show-paren-mode.
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 18:55:01 +0100

> For the "maliciously" case: this is Emacs we're talking about.  Even if
> implemented in C, a "malicious" intruder can place enough advices to
> circumvent pretty much any such "security".  So worrying about this case
> is not very useful.

The malicious case would include a person demonstrating how easy it is
to bypass the Emacs protection mechanism.

> I don't think we want to try and disable pre/post-command-hook, timers,
> process filters, before/after-change-functions, and other redisplay
> hooks just out of paranoia.

IIRC we already cover other cases like undo revealing a previously typed
password as well as passwords ending up in bug reports as recently typed
characters.  IMO typing passswords should be based on limited editing
facilities like yanking, self-insertion, cursor movement and deletion
commands.

martin