Re: SHA, MD, and openssl

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: SHA, MD, and openssl
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 14:44:40 -0800

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I meant openssl as a whole.

Emacs trunk won't let Emacs users use openssl as a whole,
only the SHA and MD5 part of libcrypto, so any patent
concerns with other parts of openssl should not be an
issue.

> What about systems where openssl is not normally present out of the
> box?  Aren't we encouraging people to install it?

Not particularly.  The build will work just fine without openssl,
and no part of the documentation or installation instructions
encourages people to install openssl.

If this turns into a real problem, we can change the installation
instructions to mention that the libcrypto part is intended to be
used only on platforms where libcrypto is normally distributed
with the major components of the operating system.