Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb

From: Alex Schroeder
Subject: Re: icomplete-mode vs. iswitchb
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2013 09:10:01 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1. How to pick the first item on the list without typing a lot? I want
>>    to type a substring RET to pick the most recent buffer. With
>>    icomplete-mode I type t e s t TAB and get test*.
>
> why type TAB?  The list of completions is already displayed in the
> minibuffer after typing "t e s t".
>
>> 2. How to quickly rotate through the list? I want to type t e s t C-s
>
> C-. and C-,  (the logic behind those is that , and . are just below <
> and > in the US keyboard).

Thank you for your suggestions. Perhaps my main problem was that I
didn't see these documented anywhere. I looked at the icomplete-mode
doc-string, the icomplete.el commentary, and the icomplete-completions
doc-string since it was mentioned in the documentary, and I searched the
Emacs manual index for icomplete. I will give it another try.

FWIW, I'm currently using: GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i686-apple-darwin, NS
apple-appkit-1038.36) of 2013-03-13 on bob.porkrind.org, and some other
GNU Emacs binary built for Windows in the office.