Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2013 17:09:07 +0000 (UTC)

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> iro.umontreal.ca> writes:

> We see that things like `x-win', `gtk', `macroexp', and `newcomment'
> might be trimmed with a more careful handling of "emacs -Q".  But the
> bulk of the "spurious" features that remain is made of packages which
> "can't be *enabled*".

As I see there are lots of infrastructure packages here (like
byte-opt, etc.) An other approach could be requiring several
complex default packages which would pull in these infrastucture
packages with them. So we do an emacs -Q then require these
packages (e.g. dired, gnus, etc.) they pull in a lot a supporting
packages and then we end up with a much more extensive default
features list which could be used to filter out lots of basic
stuff.

Which builtin packages would you say are good candidates for
this? They should be complex enough to require most of the usual
supporting packages (like mail, diff, url, w3m, etc.) with them.

Gnus?
Org?
Semantic?
Ediff?

Can we come up with a good set of this packages which would drag
in most of the usual supporting stuff with them when they are
required?