Re: trunk r115265: * lisp/vc/vc-dispatcher.el (vc-log-edit): Setup the S

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: trunk r115265: * lisp/vc/vc-dispatcher.el (vc-log-edit): Setup the Summary&Author headers.
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2013 08:33:46 -0500

> 1. The "Author" header will be almost always unused in other projects,
> aside from Emacs, I'm contributing to. So it'll stick out like a sore
> thumb. And even with Emacs, when the ChangeLog entry has the proper
> author mentioned, it's auto-filled anyway.

The intention was to remind people that they should think about who's
the author.  Indeed, it's particularly useful for us but less so for
many other projects.  Maybe we can set it as a .dir-locals.el customization.

> 2. The "Summary" doesn't add anything in the way of features, I can just
> as well write it in the first line of the message.

The RFC822 format does add features, since there are a few other special
headers (Author, Fixes, Amend, maybe a few more).

> When the buffer is displayed initially, the point is before "Summary:",
> so now I have to move it first before I can write the commit message.

Indeed that's a bug.  If someone can fix that, that's be very welcome.

We should also use some of the message-mode commands to move inside the
header, as was suggested here recently.

> `vc-git-log-edit-toggle-amend' is not aware of this header and inserts
> the whole message, summary and the rest, below the headers, leaving
> "Summary" empty. Although this should be fixable.

Sounds like a bug, indeed.

> 3. If I decide I don't want to commit now, and I kill the log-edit
> buffer (is there any other way to dismiss it?), the window and buffer
> created by `log-edit-show-files', doesn't go anywhere, and I have to
> take care of it separately. Also fixable.

Indeed, that needs to be fixed.  It's easy to fix when we kill the
*vc-log* buffer, but it might be trickier to fix when you just bury-it :-(
Maybe log-edit-show-files shouldn't be in the default log-edit-hook.

        Stefan