Re: Emacs will never be a WYSIWYG-editor and should not try to

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Emacs will never be a WYSIWYG-editor and should not try to
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 22:45:34 +0100

Andreas Röhler writes:
> If you take a look into the org-directory, you'll see several files,
> whose name indicate the purpose beside from org-mode in its strict
> sense.

Before you send others to read those, why not have a look yourself?

> Probably it would be great to have the exporter(s?) --which may output
> into HTML, PDF or ODF-- available in all text-modes.

You might want to take notice that the exporters do exactly nothing
without org-element and org-element defines Org syntax and nothing else.

> From my perspective porting org-footnote.el would pay.

This too depends on the rest of Org to figure out what it is looking at
and where to place the actual content (and then find it again).

> Well, the code providing literal programming is quite an item by
> themselves, no trivial thing.  Just being surprised it should not work
> outside org-mode too ;)

Again, it relies heavily on the infrastructure provided by Org.

There are bits and pieces in Org that would likely benefit from
generalization that might re-factor them out of Org (or not, since
nobody tried yet).  But such refactoring would be a lot of work and
you won't be able to contribute, so…

Regards,
Achim.