Re: Emacs will never be a WYSIWYG-editor and should not try to

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: Emacs will never be a WYSIWYG-editor and should not try to
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 19:28:21 +0100

Am 26.11.2013 16:58, schrieb Richard Stallman:
         [ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider
         [ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,
         [ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example.

     - basic fixes and enhancements of common Emacs features, tables, footnotes
etc.

     Would wish the both last items seeing back-ported into major Emacs without
need of org-mode.

In principle, I agree.  But there seems to be a disagreement about
whether these are fixes or enhancements of common Emacs features.
Bastien said,

     For the second item, you can't have it without Org.

Andreas, could you list a few of these points, so we can see
whether they make sense outside Org mode?

I'll cc that to Carsten, who will know best where to start.

If you take a look into the org-directory, you'll see several files, whose name
indicate the purpose beside from org-mode in its strict sense.

Probably it would be great to have the exporter(s?) --which may output into
HTML, PDF or ODF-- available in all text-modes.
IIRC also import from ODF is written already, so it's not far away from playing
libre-office :)

From my perspective porting org-footnote.el would pay.
The footnote.el in mail-directory isn't able to store resp. to read in existing
footnotes.
All textmodes could offer footnotes.

Well, the code providing literal programming is quite an item by themselves, no
trivial thing.
Just being surprised it should not work outside org-mode too ;)