RE: Add the archive name column in the list-packages table

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Add the archive name column in the list-packages table
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 11:25:12 -0800 (PST)

> Consider me completely opposed to tooltips.  They require hovering,
> don't work in a terminal, and are hard to read.

But what's a "tooltip"?

Emacs can use the echo area for "tooltip" text.  Does that use
provide a "tooltip"?  Not in the usual sense.  But Emacs is not so
usual, in general.

We used to have variable `tooltip-use-echo-area', whose name even
suggested that Emacs was using the echo area as a tooltip.

Call it what you might.  It shows the same info as a tooltip.

And no, you do *not* have to hover over the zone.  You do not even
have to have a mouse.

emacs -Q -nw

C-h f forward-char
C-h f backward-char
C-x o ; to get to *Help*
TAB   ; see :help ("tooltip") text in echo area
TAB   ; see next zone's :help text in echo area

Without -nw, just turn off `tooltip-mode'.  Same behavior as above.