Re: Emacs as word processor

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs as word processor
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 15:02:07 +0900

Richard Stallman writes, among other things:

 > I think our interface will be so different from actual Word that
 > no one will get confused.

To be frank, I think your goals for this feature are incoherent.  You
say you want non-Emacs users to use Emacs, then you turn around and
deprecate exactly those features of this project (Word file-format
compatibility, *Office-alike UI) that are most likely to encourage
them to try Emacs (or at least, not strongly discourage them from
doing so).

If all you really want is a more convenient way to compose the likes
of stallman.org/ebooks.pdf, what's wrong with focusing on that?  OK,
it's not going to change the world, but it would be a nice feature.

Regards