Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 20:30:14 -0500

On Tue, 19 Nov 2013 19:28:28 -0500 Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

>> Agreed, although then the *Completions* buffer should at least get
>> better highlighting.

SM> Not sure what you want here.  AFAIK the only thing missing is to
SM> highlight the selected entry (which is already done when selecting with
SM> the mouse, but not when selecting with the keyboard).

That, and to also highlight the portion of the selected entry that
matches if the match is partial.

>> I agree, and my proposal is to "lock in" the user into the selection
>> mode until it's done.

SM> Once you're in that mode, we can use any number of key-bindings, there's
SM> no problem there.  The issue is how to let the use *enter* that mode,
SM> where `up' or `down' can be used in the minibuffer, but maybe not
SM> for in-buffer completion.  Once we're in that mode, up, down, and pretty
SM> much anything else can be hijacked just fine.

I am OK with any simple key chord to enter it; `TAB' or `right' seem
most intuitive to me.  Juri suggests `up' which is also OK.

>> - decide on "locking in" users during candidate selection (so more
>> natural keybindings can be used) or stealing just a few keybindings
>> temporarily

SM> "just a few" can be many keybindings.  My preference is simply to let
SM> the user exit that mode "seamlessly" without having to use a special
SM> exit key-binding.  But that doesn't mean that we should feel restricted
SM> in which keys can be used in that special mode.

OK, I like that!

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 02:45:50 +0200 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

JL> The bigger problem is in which order to sort completion candidates.
JL> When navigating from the minibuffer to the *Completions* buffer
JL> `up' should select the first candidate which is more natural to put
JL> at the bottom of the *Completions* buffer sorted in reverse order.

JL> OTOH, to navigate in the forward order from top to bottom
JL> the *Completions* buffer could be displayed below the minibuffer
JL> if this is possible.

Good points, I don't know what's the best approach here.

Ted