Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Emacs completion matches selection UI
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 20:25:44 -0500

On Wed, 20 Nov 2013 01:10:47 +0100 Gregor Zattler <address@hidden> wrote:

GZ> * Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> [19. Nov. 2013]:

>> , but honestly any solution that pops
>> up a whole new buffer is unusable today in 2013.

GZ> Buffers are great because the user is allowed to do everything
GZ> s/he can do with other text.[1]  Perhaps the problem lies in the
GZ> switching to/from and quitting of said buffers?

GZ> [1] see
https://sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/effective-emacs#TOC-Dialog-Boxes:-The-Root-of-All-Evil

Selecting a completion candidate is a very specific use case; the
content is not text but a menu of options.  In any case, I'm not against
buffers but against the general UI flow, which requires either mouse
clicks or hitting `C-x o'.

Ted